All performing groups rehearse a wide variety of music and give regular concerts at the centre. Groups from the North Herts Music School may also perform at outside venues such as the Gordon Craig Theatre.
All groups work with experienced staff to develop their instrumental skills through listening and playing as part of an ensemble.
- Junior guitar ensemble for 'classical' guitarists of preliminary grade to grade 2.
- Intermediate guitar ensemble for players, grade 3–5
- Senior guitar ensemble for players grade 6 and above.
String orchestras and groups
- String Stars – an enjoyable grounding in string playing (either violin or cello) using rhythm and pitch games as well as covering all the basics for beginners. Loan of an instrument is included.
- Beginner String Orchestra – for pupils who have been learning a short time and can now read simple tunes. The aim is to have fun while learning how to play together in an orchestra.
- Junior String Orchestra – for grade 1 players to those working toward grade 3.
- Intermediate String Orchestra – for players who have progressed beyond grade 3 standard.
- String Chamber Music (Chamber Strings Orchestra or Quartet Session) – for players approaching grade 6. We cover a mix of traditionalorchestral string repertoire and string chamber music along more contemporary pieces.
- North Herts and Stevenage Youth Orchestra – Lower School Hall at Hitchin Girls' School. A full symphony orchestra for senior players. Membership is by audition or invitation. Wind and brass players should be about grade 6 and string players, grade 5+. Orchestral percussionists are also welcome.
Wind bands and groups
- Junior Wind Band – for woodwind, brass and percussion players at grade 1–3. Entry is by teacher recommendation, no audition is necessary.
- Intermediate Wind Band – for woodwind, brass and percussion players, grade 3 upwards.
- North Herts and Stevenage Wind Band – at Stevenage Music Centre, Nobel School, Stevenage. For woodwind, brass and percussion players at grades 5–6 and upwards. To provide students up to A level standard the opportunity to experience and achieve a high standard of performance. Also includes work towards GCSE / A level ensembles.
- Blast Off – a transition jazz band for young musicians who are interested in delving into improvisation. Players should be about grade 2–4. This group aims to prepare and inspire students for the challenges found in performing and improvising.
- North Herts and Stevenage Youth Jazz – the senior jazz big band is for players of grade 5 and above, all insturments welcome. It provides an opportunity for students to expand their jazz theory and performance skills in a welcoming environment. The group performs annually at the Herts Jazz Fest in Bishops Stortford as well as at the Priory Picnic locally (other performance opportunities may also arise throughout the year).
For those wishing to study for Associated Board Theory of Music written exams up to grade 5. Theory of Music grade 5 is required before a player can take grade 6 on their instrument.