Hertford Saturday Morning Music School groups meet every Saturday during term-time at Simon Balle Schooll and play in a concert at the end of each term. We have a large library of new and classical music written and arranged specifically for young players.
Our intention is that the music children play in our groups should both complement and reinforce the work they do in lesson time with their teacher and in their practice time at home.
Theory with Kirsty Gunn
- Saturdays, 9–9.45am – an enjoyable class-style lesson for musicians of all levels.
- Theory is vital for all musicians and necessary to progress above grade 5 with ABRSM. The class covers all aspects of theory with the aim of completing grade 5.
Take a bow string ensemble with Tom Bunting
- Saturday, 9–9.45am – for all string players from beginner to grade 3.
- This is now at Simon Balle School.
"HONK" wind Band with Tom Bunting
- Saturday, 10–11am
- An intermediate wind band for players from grade 2-4.
String orchestra with Sam Slade
- Saturday, 9.45–10.45am – for all string players at grade 3 and above.
- The group plays a range of repertoire from well known classics to film music.
Chamber strings with Sam Slade
- Saturdays, 11–11.30am
- An opportunity for string players to participate in chamber ensembles, following the String Orchestra rehearsal.
Orchestras and groups
East Herts concert band with Ian Sanderson
- Monday, 7–9pm at Simon Balle School, Mangrove Road, Hertford, SG13 8AJ.
- For woodwind, brass and percussion players at grade 4 and above. The group plays a wide range of repertoire and gives several concerts each year.
East Herts Youth Orchestra with Sam Slade
- Friday, 7–9pm
- For string, woodwind, brass and percussion players at grade 5 and above. The orchestra explores a huge range of music and gives many concerts each year in a variety of settings.
Children should wear a face covering at all times until they're in their activity room.
Please drop your child outside the centre. Please stay outside when your child enters and leaves the building.