All groups work with experienced staff to develop their instrumental skills through listening and playing as part of an ensemble. They rehearse a wide variety of music, and give regular concerts.
Beginner and intermediate (Saturdays, 8.45–9.15am)
- Our beginner group is for children who have never played before.
- They are taught the basics of recorder playing and they begin to read music.
- The preliminary group has the opportunity to take music medal exams and the intermediate group introduces children to playing the treble and tenor recorders.
Advanced recorders (Saturdays, 10.45-11.15am)
- For players at grade 3 or above.
- The group uses the full range of recorders from sopranino to bass.
- They explore a wide repertoire from early music to arrangements of popular songs from films and musicals.
- This group develops skills in ensemble playing.
- Saturdays, 9.15–10am.
- For players or singers who need help and practice at the various tests set in theory exams.
- All levels are taught from grades 1-5.
- A pass at grade 5 is required for entry to practical exams at grade 6 and above.
Junior music group
- Saturdays, 9.15–10am.
- For children aged 5-11.
- A foundation for musical progression through work with percussion instruments, songs and recorders.
Each term has a set theme and the children explore music through playing recorders, pitched and un-pitched percussion instruments and song.
Theory is included at appropriate levels.
Junior choir (Saturdays, 10.15–10.45am)
- For younger singers to develop their voices and to learn to read music.
- The children sing a wide variety of music and action songs.
Senior choir (Saturdays, 10.15–10.45am)
- For intermediate singers to explore their voices through pop songs and songs from films and shows.
- Students will explore singing in parts.
Intermediate wind ensemble (Saturdays, 11.15–11.45am)
- For wind players at grade 2 or above.
- The group explores a wide range of repertoire from film music to well-known classics.
- It provides excellent ensemble training as well as the experience required for players to progress on to Concert Band or Youth Orchestra.
Junior String Ensemble (Saturdays, 10.45–11.15am)
- For children from beginner level to grade 3
- To explore playing within an ensemble.
- Violin, viola, cello and double bass are welcome.
- Students develop skills in sight-reading which also helps them achieve better results in graded music examinations.
Senior String Ensemble (Saturdays, 11.15-11.45am)
East Herts Youth Orchestra (Fridays, 6–7.30pm)
- At Simon Balle School, Mangrove Road, Hertford, SG13 8AJ.
- For all instrumental players at grade 5 and above.
- The group plays a range of repertoire from classical to pop medleys.
- The group is also a platform from which to join wider county activities including Hertfordshire Schools Symphony Orchestra and County Youth Orchestra.
Music groups for adults
- For adults who wish to improve their playing and ensemble skills.
- We rehearse 4-5 times each term on Saturdays, 1-2.30pm.at Roselands School in Hoddesdon. Email Catherine Wild for dates and times
For more information on any of these groups, email email@example.com