HMS is the lead organisation for the Hertfordshire Music Education Hub, and we receive funding to fulfil the aims and outcomes of the National Plan for Music Education.
HMS is supported by various hub partners to ensure that 5-18 year olds:
- Are offered the opportunity to learn a musical instrument (other than voice);
- Are offered the opportunity to make music with others, and to perform from an early age;
- Are offered affordable opportunities to progress to excellence in music making;
- Are offered regular singing opportunities.
HMS and its Hub partners are also asked to:
- Offer CPD to school staff, particularly in supporting schools to deliver music in the curriculum;
- Provide an instrument loan service, with discounts or free provision for those on low incomes;
- Provide access to a range of high-quality music experiences for students, working with professional musicians and/or venues where possible;
- Support the Department for Education’s new Model Music Curriculum through service delivery, communications and support for schools.
To achieve these objectives, HMS considers all Hertfordshire state-maintained schools and academies to be a ‘school partner’ of the local music hub. This means all school partners and their students will be able to access the following benefits:
- Fully managed, quality assured instrumental lessons
- Subsidised access to music education resources
- Financial support for instrumental lessons
- Community and large scale music events
- Whole class music making opportunities
- Support for school teaching staff and advice on curriculum music, including the Model Music Curriculum
- Support for accessing Artsmark and Arts Award programmes
HMS would like to thank all the 2022-23 Hertfordshire hub partners for their continued support in making these opportunities available.