Hertfordshire Wind Sinfonia
Principal Conductor: Mark Eager
Required standard: Grade 7
Age range: 13 - 21 years
HWS meets for a 4-day course in the spring and summer holidays and for a Repertoire Day in the autumn half term, undertaking exciting and challenging repertoire in many styles and genres.
The Sinfonia has played many specially commissioned works and also very popular pieces to the more obscure! Playing in HWS is an exciting opportunity to not only play great music but to work with professional coaches on technical aspects of your playing.
The orchestra performs in high profile venues, most recently The Cathedral and Abbey Church of St Alban. Other venues include the Royal Northern College of Music in Manchester, London’s Barbican Hall and the Royal Academy of Music. The orchestra has recorded three CDs and has regularly commissioned new works and presented first performances. Entry standard is Grade 7, though there are occasional exceptions to this. As well as brass, percussion and wind instruments, there are places for piano/keyboard and string bass.
Tel.: 01727 860941 option 3
We have now moved office to the Mid-Herts Centre for Music & Arts, Birchwood Avenue, Hatfield, Herts, AL10 0PS.
Spring course - 17th - 18th April 2015
Summer course - 27th July - 3rd August 2015 - tour tbc
Orchestra member downloads
Audition applications are now being taken for the 2015/16 season. The application form can be found at http://www.hertsmusicservice.org.uk/audition-applications/.
CONCERT - 22nd December 2014 at 7.30pm, Haileybury, Hertford
Johan de Meij Symphony No. 1 "Lord Of The Rings"
Autumn course - 21st - 22nd December 2014
CONCERT - 31st July 2014 at Harpenden Public Halls at 7.30pm
Summer Course - 28th - 31st July 2014 - Purcell School, Bushey - residential
Spring Course - 14th - 17th April 2014 - Watford School of Music. Recording course
John Mackey Foundry
Raymond Head Touching Eurydice
Daniel Basford Symphony No. 1
Autumn Workshop Day - 1st December 2013 with guest conductor Mark Heron
CONCERT - 1st August 2013 - Featuring the world premiere of Daniel Basford's Symphony No. 1
Summer Course - 29th July - 1st August 2013
CONCERT - 6th April 2013 at 7.30pm. The Clarendon Muse, Watford School of Music.
Spring Course - 3rd - 6th April 2013
Autumn Workshop day - 2nd December 2012
CONCERT: 28th July 2012, 7:30pm - Cathedral & Abbey Church of St Alban, St. Albans
- Summer Course - 25th-28th July 2012
- CONCERT: 4th April 2012, 7:30pm - The Clarendon Muse, Watford School of Music
- Spring Course - 1st-4th April 2012
- Autumn Workshop Day - 4th December 2011
Conductor: Phil Brunton
Repertoire: Bruckner Scherzo from Symphony no.4
Shostakovich Festive Overture
Carroll Winter Dances
Gorb Battle Symphony
Informal concert at Mid-Herts Music Centre, Hatfield - 6pm
- CONCERT: 6th August 2011, 7:30pm. The Clarendon Muse, Watford School of Music. Last Night of the Proms theme
- Summer Course - 3rd-6th August 2011
- Spring Course - 11th-14th April 2011
Premiere recording of the new Saxophone Concertino by Adam Gord, with soloist Tim Watson; and Raymond Head Chorale. Also recording Ellerby Paris Sketches and Sparke Fanfare, Romance and Finale
- Autumn Workshop Day - 28th November 2010
Focus on concerti, including a new saxophone concerto by Adam Gorb
- Tour to Paris - 2nd-8th August 2010 performing in the grand Cathedral, The Madeleine
Perischetti Symphony No. 6
Milhaud Suite Francais
Saint-Saens Orient et Occident
Bozza Children’s Overture
- 2010 Easter Course Programme of British and Australian contemporary music leading to a concert at Berkhamsted Collegiate on the 9th April
- Summer Residential Course at St Georges, Harpenden leading to concert in the Cathedral and Abbey of Church of St Alban on the 21st August 2009, featuring world premiere of Night Journey by Daniel Basford with the Hertfordshire County Youth Choir and Tim Hobman, baritone